Monday, February 7, 2011

stillness in the air

Hello from Elfstone Chestnut Pussycat,
The nice man with the pain-in-the butt fur creature who lives next door had a lot of people come over for the past few days. Ordinarily he's by himself and some people stop by from time to time. The fur creature isn't as big as we are, and he makes lots of noise every time he sees us and wiggles to get up and down the porch step, unlike us cats, who can leap tall fences any time we want... anyway, though, the man is always very nice even though he seems to think I'm a girl...the very idea.

But things have been very odd in neighbor land, with extra visitors staying for a very long time, and yesterday we heard a big clanging and clattering. People opened the big door we had never seen open and started taking things out. Big things, noisy things. Things that smell like the smells under the big monsters that move in the street. Little things hanging on shelves. That door does not open very much. And when I peeked in the other door there was a woman all the way inside the house. She was crying and not moving around very much.

Something was really wrong, I thought, and I didn't see the nice man. Now that I think about it, I didn't see the Fur Guy either. Not that I missed him all that much.

And then they all went away and everything was quiet. I hate it when everything gets quiet. It's as though someone tore a hole in the neighborhood.

Now it's very dark in there and everything is shut. And my humans are upset. Even Acorn didn't have his usual Red Tough Guy cattitude. And I'm worried that they will go away too so I'm fussing over them and talking to them and making sure that they know I'm just a pussycat that needs his humans to stick around and do the things that humans are supposed to do. (Where'd the food go, anyway? It's been minutes since I ate last...maybe I should park on one of them till they realize they need me.)

1 comment:

Word Imp said...

You may like to know that we have just moved house. Next door they have nine cats. This is very unusual but doesn't seem to create problems - apart from them enjoying our property and thinking it's their toilet! My blog is back by the way! Yay.

 Hello all, I started singing this song last night.  There are times when I "go on watch" -- and I am holding the spirits of two b...